Item to be used up: Organic, Ground Coffee
Now I gave up drinking coffee years ago so there is only one other place for this baby.
Cookbook: Natural Nutrition Techniques/The Art of Natural Nutrition by Barbara Wren.
This is not a cookbook but a workbook from my college; The College of Natural Nutrition, run by Barbara Wren. I am currently studying a life-changing correspondence course called “Cellular Awakening” with the college.
Recipe: Coffee Enema
O.K. I agree, not technically a recipe but a fantastic detox.
What does a coffee enema do?
The pharmacologically active part of the coffee is absorbed into the hemorrhoidal vein (within the colon) and is transported through the portal system into the liver.
When the coffee arrives, it causes the liver to contract and squeeze its toxic bile out through the common bile duct into the duodenum and then out through the rest of the digestive tract. This contraction clears the liver and leaves it in a much better state to continue with its detoxification role.
When should I apply a coffee enema?
Coffee enemas are extremely useful when a detoxification programme is under way. They will help accelerate the liver’s ability to detoxify and therefore will reduce any risk of overload resulting in auto-intoxication. They can also be implemented in acute liver problem (e.g. migraines) to decongest and bring about a quick resolution.
You do need to be very careful with this technique, as it is one of the easiest to misunderstand. Coffee enemas do cause some loss of electrolytes (Ca, Mg, K and Na), which can cause stress in some cases. If overused or used in the wrong situation, people can feel stress within the kidneys and adrenals due to this diuresis.
As coffee enemas have profound effects, we always recommend that they are used within a supervised programme.
Do not use this technique if there is a prolapsed organ in the pelvic area or haemorrhoids are a problem.
- Place 1 rounded tablespoon of organic ground coffee into a non-aluminium saucepan
- Pour on half a pint of filtered water and bring to the boil(leave uncovered)
- Simmer for 15 minutes (leave uncovered)
- Sieve into a 2 pint jug
- Make up the required volume (one and a half to two pints) with filtered water, being sure to test that the fluid is at body temperature .
Follow instructions in How to Do An Enema
- Timings – hold for 15-20 minutes, and then expel.
- What are the effects?
- Often on completion of this technique various symptoms due to toxicity will be relieved.
- For example:
- People often feel very clear headed
- People often feel much less toxic – clear vision, clear thoughts and better mood
- Aches and pains are often reduced
- Any nausea disappears
- Coffee enemas have been used by “The Gerson Cancer therapy” for decades due to their ability to help the body remove toxicity rapidly when tumours are breaking down.
How to do an enema
You will need:
- a gravity feed enema bag or bucket
- a two pint jug
- the fluid to be used (dependent on type of enema used, here it is organic coffee made with filtered water-good quality is essential.
- a pillow
- something to protect the floor – a plastic sheet or plenty of towels
- lubrication (oil)
- a hook (or door handle) on which to hang the enema bag
- a clock for timing
- Prepare the enema fluid as described.
- Assemble your enema kit as per instructions. Select the smaller nozzle (the larger one is for vaginal douches).
- Hang the enema bag on the hook so that the bottom of it is about 1 metre above the position you will lie in. (I learnt this 1 metre rule the hard way in a hilarious one hand holding up the bag, one holding the nozzle in place scenario where nothing happened…not enough pressure of course, so the door handle it is now, with me on the floor next to it).
- Pour the enema fluid into the bag having first checked that the nozzle is closed.
- Release the air in the tube by opening the nozzle and lowering the nozzle gently until some fluid runs through.
- Lubricate your anal area
- Prepare the floor area (with protective material) and then lie down on your back with your knees bent, or if preferred lie on your right side. The pillow should support your head.
- Insert the nozzle(small one) into your anus.
- Open the tap and allow the fluid to gently enter. Massage your abdomen as the fluid is entering. I always find that the very last bit of liquid in the tube will not go in. I have decided that this is due to the gravity fed system at this point not having enough downward pressure, so don’t spend ages, like me waiting to remove the tap.
- Hold the fluid for the required time (as described by different enema types). Although many struggle to hold an enema – so save your floors and make sure that you get to the toilet before it is too late, rather than try to get to the time suggested. I still find that I have good days and bad days with this. I also find that completely relaxing with the light off and lying right down as if to doze, helps.
- Massage your abdomen if you experience problems with wind.
- On completion move (swiftly) to the toilet to evacuate the enema.
- Give yourself plenty of time to fully evacuate the enema before heading out to work or picking the kids up from school.
I tend to do my coffee enemas in the evening once the children are asleep and I can relax fully. I don’t find that the coffee taken in enema form causes any caffeine issues, such as keeping me awake.
For more information on different types of enemas look it up in my techniques section.