Castor Oil Packing. A Castor oil pack (a flannel or a piece of folded cotton sheet, soaked in Castor Oil) is placed directly on the skin. This increases the circulation, bringing energy to the area and helps to stimulate healing, cleansing and elimination processes at a cellular level. An external Castor oil pack can reach inner organs to strengthen and support them. Castor oil is superb for nourishing dry skin and removing stagnation from the body.
It has been dubbed ‘Palma Christi’ – The Hands of Christ. When I first read this I believed that it was because it was such a cure all; for skin, for tumours, for aches and pains, for colon impaction. But after doing Castor oil packing I believe it is because it feels as if you have literally been touched by the healing hands of Christ. I feel utterly relaxed, calm and serene.
Joanna Budwig famed for her flax oil and quark cancer treatment also developed ELDI oils to be rubbed externally on the skin. She made the connection between oils, the light spectrum that they generate and their ability to bring light and charge to the body, crucial when healing. Castor oil gives forth a pure white light, offering the full colour spectrum in equal intensity, as does daylight. It is believed that this white light can penetrate cells and generate movement and cleansing in addition to bringing a crucial charge to the cell. It has also been suggested that Castor oil stimulates the body to generate its own bio-photons of light from it’s DNA helix.
Castor Oil has been found to have a negative rate of ORP (oxidation Reduction Potential). This means that it has a high negative charge, this negative charge allows it to donate electrons. This makes it a great antioxidant. If we understand that the lower the ORP of the substance, the greater its potential for reversing the aging process. The ORP of Castor oil is -200. Raw foods also have negative ORP. So it seems that this technique has amazing potential for creating health in our body.
In natural medicine it is always advised that the liver be supported first as this is the major organ for detoxification; any elimination from your body that takes place at a cellular level will end up in the blood and being filtered by the liver. This is why it is crucial to support the liver through any detoxification program. Therefore when Castor oil packing we always pack the liver first, before any other areas that require packing. Alternatively of course just the liver may be packed and nothing else.
During the spring time, which is the Chinese season of wood and the liver (along with the emotion anger and the eyes); the spring equinox brings about a natural process of cleansing the body. At this time the liver might start to struggle as it gets overloaded with work, Castor oil packing would be a wonderful way to support your body at this time. Keeping the liver free of congestion and working efficiently will promote elimination of any toxicity and will be fundamental to getting and staying healthy.
How to apply a Castor oil pack
- Castor oil packs are made by soaking three layers of undyed wool, cotton sheet or flannel (large enough to cover the affected area) in Castor oil (preferably warm-I place my pack on the hot water bottle that I am about to use for a few moments) and placing it on the skin of the affected area.
- The reason for folding the sheet is that it creates layers and so more oil can be applied at a time. The pack is covered with a sheet of plastic or the torso/area packed can be wrapped in cling film , and then a hot water bottle is placed over the plastic to heat the pack and help the Castor oil to be absorbed through the skin. leave for 20 mins (I have worked up to 1 hour)
- Wear some old clothes and lie on towels if you wish whilst doing this technique, to protect the bed/sofa that you are going to rest on, as Castor oil stains
- The cloth ‘pack’ may be stored in a covered container and kept in the refrigerator for further use. Each pack may be reused up to 25-30 times.
- Once the right side of the abdomen has been packed (underneath the right rib) to support and stimulate the liver, any further areas of discomfort can be packed with Castor oil: Such as; the abdomen to relieve constipation and other digestive disorders or the lower abdomen in cases of menstrual irregularities and uterine and ovarian cysts, also the lungs to facilitate breathing and to clear congestion. Heat is not required when packing other body areas.
I have used it personally and on my family and have recommended it to friends for all sorts of conditions; for an overworked liver with too much alcohol, red meat etc to deal with, in times of detox where I want to cleanse gently and not bring about a healing crisis, for stomach aches, fever, whooping cough, asthma. If I am faced with a healing situation I will often look to the castor oil first.
It is generally recommended that a Castor oil pack be used for 3 to 7 days in a week to treat a health condition or for detoxification.
It should not be done for more than 5 consecutive days in a week.
A suggested routine could be Castor oil packing for 3 consecutive days in each week for 3 weeks followed by a week off.
If you have high blood pressure or are pregnant avoid this technique altogether.
Castor oil, derived from the Castor bean, has a long history of traditional medical use dating back to ancient Egypt.
This is one of Edgar Cayce’s most famous remedies. Edgar Cayce was an American Psychic who re-discovered and revived many ancient healing techniques through his lucid dreaming state. Dr William Mc Garey tested many of Cayce’s health recommendations.
In Ayurvedic medicine a Virechana or bowel cleanse is encouraged every six months, utilising Castor oil as a purgative.
Eastern Europeans also made extensive use of Castor oil in the form of external compresses.
Despite its history as a purgative and labour inducer, Castor oil is not now recommended for internal use. It should not be applied to broken skin, or used during pregnancy, breastfeeding, or during menstrual flow. When you have your period, your body is naturally detoxing. It is best to let it do this at its own pace, not create more cleansing than it is already creating.