With this years spring equinox just around the corner and daffodils bobbing their heads outside the window it is definitely time to awaken the spring in you.
This weeks recipe has been brought to you by my gorgeous daughter Zoe, who was inspired to make nettle gnocchi for lunch today. Yes you heard me right; good old stinging nettles picked fresh (and very carefully!) from the garden.
So the recipe:
- 600g potatoes, diced into small pieces
- 400g gluten free flour
- a good handful of nettles, grabbed with a thick pair of gloves on! rinsed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
- Boil the potatoes for 10 mins or until soft
- Mash them with a fork and mix in the nettles with a teaspoon of salt
- Stir in the beaten eggs
- Add flour and stir in until the mixture starts to come together
- Roll out on a board into a sausage shape
- Cut into disks
- Boil for 3 minutes or until the pieces start to bob up to the surface of the pan.
I served up ours with some tomato sauce made by frying off celery, onion, garlic, parsley, grated carrot for a few minutes and then bubbling away with some tomatoes for 20-30 mins.
I am sure that you could get this by the kids. If you don’t think that they could I am sure they’d love to get involved picking the tinging nettles and hopefully inspired to eat them by the sheer craziness of it all.
Welcome to spring!