Item to be used up: Mustard (Lots of it. I think that my challenge may well fail due to the sheer volume of jars in my cupboards and have you seen the size of this one!, very soon it will be mustard with everything) and Tabasco Sauce (I needed this in an earlier recipe and couldn’t find it when the time came. As the cupboard stocks are getting thinner, it re-emerged, annoyingly from the depths.)
Recipe: Cheddar, Mustard and Tabasco Cheese Straws
- 200g wholemeal plain flour
- 100g butter
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated (Use more than this as mine were not cheesy enough) I have also seen recipes that additionally use Parmesan on top, which would also be great (If vegetarian).
- 1 large teaspoon mustard. Most recipes call for mustard powder. I do not need to get rid of the powder so must instead spend a while trying to stop this sticking together when mixed in.
- Dash of Tabasco sauce…well as much as you think that you might get away with while trying to use it up.
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C
- Rub the butter into the flour until like breadcrumbs
- Stir in the cheddar, the mustard and the Tabasco sauce.
- Add the milk and mix together until it comes together in a ball.
- Roll out on a floured surface.
- Cut into thin strips
- Bake in the oven for around 15 minutes. Keep an eye on them.
Thumbs up for these.